We are NPO Information Gap Buster that aims at establishing a society where everyone can receive information equally.
Nowadays, it seems that everyone can get information easily because of the worldwide Web, however, there turns out be hidden “barriers to equal access to information” in unexpected spots.
In this case, “barriers to equal access to information” means that the barriers block conveyance of information because people don’t understand the languages or they are Deaf and/or Blind.
Here are some examples
- A person failed to escape from a disaster and died. It was because the person was Deaf and didn’t receive an evacuation order.
- A foreign patient couldn’t take medicine appropriately because the explanation about the medicine by the pharmacist wasn’t conveyed to the patient correctly.
- An employee became seriously depressed because the employee didn’t understand what being said about at the company meetings, the situation was very stressful, then stress ruined the employee’s health.
Therefore, we are grappling with these problems to provide the healthier society for everyone
- Educate people about these information barriers
- Make information available to the communication-disadvantaged people so they can learn information acquisition skills
- Make a social structure where information is conveyed properly
Educate people about these information barriers
Establish a public course of lectures and inform people about the information barriers and what considerations the communication-disadvantaged people need.
Make information available to the communication-disadvantaged people so they can learn information acquisition skills
Create an opportunity for the communication-disadvantaged people to learn how to distinguish correct information and how to convey their messages to other people.
Make a social structure where information is conveyed properly
Collect signatures to submit a petition for changing the system to convey the information easily.
The future we envisage is a society that is fair and tolerant for people with diversity.
We believe that the problem of information barriers will be solved when many people deepen their knowledge about this information-oriented society and realize the problematic current situations.
From now and then, we will be more active in our role at NPO Information Gap Buster to solve the problem of the huge information gap, and we will aim for an affluent society where every one can receive the information equally.